SKC Engineering is a qualified and experienced company working on penstock projects on some of North America’s largest projects. As Engineering consultants, we are typically involved with weld design and joint design, weld procedure development, weld procedure testing and welder testing. In the filed, we can provide QA and QC in the form of Non Destructive Testing and Non Destructive Examination on an ongoing basis during construction. We have been involved in many major penstock projects in Western Canada.
Recent penstock and water line projects:
- Alcan Kemano Penstock Tie-in work
- Employed as welding consultants, providing weld joint designs, fabrication and installation concepts, quality assurance and welding consultation. Work was carried out to ASME IX, ASME VIII Division I.
- Tyson Creek Penstock
- Provided quality assurance on the penstock build. Welding procedures were prepared to CSA Z662.
- Snoqualmie Hydroelectric Penstock and Bifurcation Work
- Carried out field weld joint designs and assessment to ASME VIII Division I code.
- We have performed Quality Assurance at Chinese spiral welded pipe mills and seamed pipe mills for General Contractors and pipe and piling companies
- Quality assurance, inspection and welding assessment work on large bore, thick wall and high yield pipe materials to API 5L Code.
- Vancouver Seymour Capilano Tunnel and Shaft welding work
- Employed as welding consultants, we advised on materials, welding procedures, NDE, quality assurance, inspection, fabrication and field installation to welding code CSA Z662.
- On the BC Hydro Aberfeldie Hydro Electric penstock and bifurcation factory build and field installation,
- We represented the contractors as welding engineers. We worked on quality assurance planning, welding procedures, joint designs and factory visits to welding code ASME VIII Div I.
- Cloudworks Energy Hydroelectric projects
- Our involvement included Fire, Douglas, Tipella, Stokke, Stave and Lamont penstocks, bifurcations, quadfurcations and transmission. We worked on quality assurance planning, BCSA registered welding procedures, weld joint designs, trouble-shooting on welding and related issues, source visits to view overseas pipe manufacture, quadfurcation builds, site visits, quality and welder testing to welding code ASME B31.3.
- Plutonics Power and Toba / Montrose Hydroelectric Project
- We performed quality assurance planning, BCSA registered welding procedures, weld joint designs, trouble-shooting on welding and related issues, site visits, quality and weld testing to welding code ASME B31.3. The penstock work was large bore, thick wall and high yield materials.
- BC Hydro Revelstoke Dam Penstock 5
- We worked with our client on quality assurance planning, BCSA registered welding procedures, weld joint designs, trouble-shooting on welding and related issues, site visits, quality and weld testing to ASME welding code.
- Our experience with past projects includes Miller Creek penstock, South Cranberry penstock and bifurcation work, Rutherford Creek penstock welding procedures.
- BC Hydro and Selkirk Substation.
- We developed an aluminum bus-bar welding and welder testing program. The welding code was AWS D1.2.
We have worked with the following welding codes, standards and specifications:
- ASME IX Qualification of Welders and Welding Procedures
- ASME VIII Division I Welding of Pressure Vessels
- ASME B31.3 Welding of Pressure Piping
- AWS D1.2 Structural Aluminum Welding
- CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems
- CSA W47.1 and W59 Certification and Structural Welding
- API 5L Line Pipe Specifications